Letter: local mental health advocate urges people to sign petition to House of Commons
Quesnel Cariboo Observer - 9/17/2018
I, Myles Mattila, writing as a student, a mental health advocate, a junior hockey player of Kelowna B.C., and a community leader, support Petition E-1736, recognizing every October 10 as World Mental Health Day, and I urge all Canadians to sign this on-line document: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1736.
Initiated by Carol Todd from Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, on June 11, 2018, at 11:16 a.m. (EDT)
PETITION TO THE HOUSE OF COMMONS
• Mental health affects all Canadians at some time in their lives, possibly through a family member, or friend;
• In any given year, 1 in 5 Canadians experience a mental health illness or addiction problem. By the time Canadians reach 40 years of age, 1 in 2 have - or have had - a mental illness;
• Almost 1 in 10 adults will have gone through a major depression at some point in their lives, and the total number of 12-19 year olds in Canada at risk for developing depression is a staggering 3.2 million;
• Canadian youth who experience early adversity such as childhood trauma, are more likely to develop mental health problems of all severity;
• An estimated 1.2 million children and youth in Canada are affected by mental illness, and 75% of all mental disorders show their first onset before the age of 25;
• Among Canadians aged 15 to 24 years old, suicide is the second leading cause of death. Within indigenous communities, the suicide rate is 5 to 7 times higher than the broader Canadian average; and
• World Mental Health Day is observed on Oct. 10 each year to raise awareness of mental health issues, advocate to end the social stigma of mental health and to mobilize efforts in support of mental health.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to designate Oct. 10, every year, as World Mental Health Day in Canada.
Sponsor - Ron McKinnon – Coquitlam – Port Coquitlam – Liberal – British Columbia
Open for signature: June 11, 2018, at 11:16 a.m. (EDT)
Closed for signature: October 9, 2018, at 11:16 a.m. (EDT)